'Wet Hot American Summer' sequel is a go
Co-writer/star Michael Showalter confirms follow-up on 'Watch What Happens Live'
A sequel to the 2001 cult hit "Wet Hot American Summer" is "100%" happening, according to the first film's co-writer and star Michael Showalter. The comedian confirmed the news during an interview with Andy Cohen on Bravo's "Watch What Happens Live" on Wednesday night.
"Absolutely yes. One hundred percent yes," said Showalter after Cohen asked whether there'd be a sequel to the film. "The whole gang. Everyone's back. We're doing it."
The term "everyone" with respect to "Wet Hot American Summer", of course, applies to quite a long list, with the original cast including Janeane Garofalo, David Hyde Pierce, Michael Ian Black, Paul Rudd, Christopher Meloni, Molly Shannon, Amy Poehler, Bradley Cooper, Elizabeth Banks and Judah Friedlander, many of whom have since gone on to hugely successful film and/or TV careers. Hopefully they can coordinate all these schedules to accomodate shooting, though given the relatively limited nature of several of the roles only a few days of filming would likely be required for certain parts.
We can also assume from Showalter's statement that in addition to himself, the first movie's co-writer and director David Wain will be getting back behind the camera for the follow-up (though he didn't say so specifically). Wain also co-wrote and directed the successful 2008 comedy "Role Models" starring Paul Rudd and Seann William Scott.
After debuting at the 2001 Sundance Film Festival, "Wet Hot American Summer" enjoyed only a perfunctory release in theaters before going on to cult success on the home-video market.
You can watch Showalter revealing the news in the video below:
Any fans of the first film excited for this development? Think they can re-capture the magic in a second installment? Sound off below!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"