'Wet Hot American Summer' sequel is a go
Co-writer/star Michael Showalter confirms follow-up on 'Watch What Happens Live'
A sequel to the 2001 cult hit "Wet Hot American Summer" is "100%" happening, according to the first film's co-writer and star Michael Showalter. The comedian confirmed the news during an interview with Andy Cohen on Bravo's "Watch What Happens Live" on Wednesday night.
"Absolutely yes. One hundred percent yes," said Showalter after Cohen asked whether there'd be a sequel to the film. "The whole gang. Everyone's back. We're doing it."
The term "everyone" with respect to "Wet Hot American Summer", of course, applies to quite a long list, with the original cast including Janeane Garofalo, David Hyde Pierce, Michael Ian Black, Paul Rudd, Christopher Meloni, Molly Shannon, Amy Poehler, Bradley Cooper, Elizabeth Banks and Judah Friedlander, many of whom have since gone on to hugely successful film and/or TV careers. Hopefully they can coordinate all these schedules to accomodate shooting, though given the relatively limited nature of several of the roles only a few days of filming would likely be required for certain parts.
We can also assume from Showalter's statement that in addition to himself, the first movie's co-writer and director David Wain will be getting back behind the camera for the follow-up (though he didn't say so specifically). Wain also co-wrote and directed the successful 2008 comedy "Role Models" starring Paul Rudd and Seann William Scott.
After debuting at the 2001 Sundance Film Festival, "Wet Hot American Summer" enjoyed only a perfunctory release in theaters before going on to cult success on the home-video market.
You can watch Showalter revealing the news in the video below:
Any fans of the first film excited for this development? Think they can re-capture the magic in a second installment? Sound off below!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!