U2 debuts new songs at tour opener
Check out 'North Star,' 'Glastonbury' and a new intro from the Irish rockers
U2 has hopped back on the touring horse after Bono spent the summer recovering from his back injury, and the band treated the fans at its first show in Italy with some new songs.
Below are clips for "North Star" and "Glastonbury," from Turin on Friday (Aug. 6). According to a post on the U2 website, the former, acoustic-driven ballad is what Bono describes as his "love song to the universe," while the latter is "a driving, guitar-led rock number inspired by the UK summer festival."
As previously reported, U2 was tapped to headline the Glastonbury music festival for the first time this summer, but was curbed by the frontman's accident.
Fans can also check out a new intro piece, "Return of the Stingray Guitar," which leads into "Beautiful Day," the first full song on the band's setlist.
The crowd was also surprised with a rare performance of "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" and "Miss Sarajevo." The 40,000-plus crowd also helped sing "Happy Birthday" to Edge, who turned 49 yesterday.
U2's next stop is in Germany tomorrow and will continue to play overseas through October. The band has already revealed its rescheduled North American tour dates, starting next May.
News From Our Partners
- Sony Teases PlayStation 4 E3 Console Reveal in New Video George Takei as Every Character in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Nintendo Promises Details on New 3D Mario, Smash Bros Before E3
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games?
- The Women TV Is Still Missing Jason Isaacs Reveals The One Co-Star He Won't Work With Again WATCH: La Toya's Tearful Break-Up Phone Call
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast? 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Spoiler Special: Burning Questions Answered 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now!
- Why Do I Own This?: A pint glass nicked from Forks, Washington, a.k.a. “Twilight, U.S.A.” Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling Nerd Curious: Why the essential collection Bradbury Stories explains how to live forever
- 'Star Wars Rebels': New Animated Series Will Take Place Between 'Episode III and 'Episode IV' James Badge Dale, 'Iron Man 3' Star, Is Also in 'World War Z' and 'The Lone Ranger' 'Blue Jasmine' Poster Debut: Cate Blanchett Is Strikingly Stoic (PHOTO)
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard