The new Freddy Krueger promises his 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' won't be campy
Plus: Can you guess how many hours it took to apply Freddy's makeup?
To say Jacke Earle Haley has come a long way is a bit of an understatement. The former child star made a name for himself in the '70s with the "Bad News Bears" movies and "Breaking Away," but his career was painfully slow during the '80s and '90s. But when he had an Oscar-nominated comeback in 2006's "Little Children" his biggest supporters turned out to be genre fans. Perhaps it was the excitement of his being cast as Rorschach in "Watchmen" or how friendly he's been in publicity appearances, but Haley has become a true fan favorite at conventions such as Comic-Con and WonderCon. So, it was no surprise that his casting as the new Freddy Krueger in the "A Nightmare on Elm Street" reboot was universally cheered among horror and movie fans alike.
Haley received yet another warm welcome this past weekend at San Francisco's WonderCon where he and the cast previewed this month's "Nightmare" reboot in front of a ravenous audience of 3,500. Afterward, he stopped by to talk to HitFix about how much darker this "Nightmare" will be, his excruciatingly difficult makeup process and how humbled he is by his newfound fandom.
You can watch the clip embedded in this page or for a larger version, click here.
Look for interviews with "Nightmare" stars Katie Cassidy, Kyle Gallner, Rooney Mara and Thomas Dekker later this weekend on HitFix.
"A Nightmare on Elm Street" opens nationwide on April 30.
News From Our Partners
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel