Watch: The Governator packs some heat in 'Expendables 2' teaser trailer
Guns don't kill people Arnold Schwarzenegger does
- Critic's Rating A-
- Readers' Rating B+
Having grossed over three times its reported production budget worldwide, you just knew there was going to be a sequel to writer/director/star Sylvester Stallone's 2010 action film "The Expendables" - and now the first official teaser trailer for the Simon West-directed follow-up has hit the web.
Of course, this time around we have the pleasure (?) of seeing Arnold Schwarzenegger (who as California Governator was still too busy cozying up to corporate special interests to make more than a brief cameo appearance in the first film) in an expanded role, with our first glimpse of the "Junior" star in the teaser showing him exactly the way we like him - as a pregnant man. Err, shooting a big gun.
"Barney Ross. You made me a deal. I could've put you in the deepest, darkest hole, but I kept you around, because I knew that one day would come when you were gonna pay me back. Today's that day," intones Bruce Willis to Stallone at the very beginning of the spot, before the film's laundry list of '80s and '90s action-movie icons (Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Willis), second-tier '80s and '90s action-movie icons (Norris, Van Damme, Lundgren), Wikipedia-worthy head-scratchers (Terry Crews, Randy Couture), Jason Statham, and one hot young up-and-comer (Liam Hemsworth) flash across the screen in a barrage of tough-guy poses.
Look, I'd be lying if I said the trailer wasn't effective - even after the middling-to-terrible first installment, the idea of putting all these guys in the same movie still possesses a sort of magnetic appeal - and while it doesn't give us much in the way of plot details, that's not really the goal of a teaser anyway. As such, I'm gonna go ahead and stamp an "A-" grade on this bad boy and call it a night.
After watching the full teaser below, rate it for yourself at top left!
"The Expendables 2" is slated for release on August 17, 2012.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...