Watch: Taylor Kitsch and Rihanna continue fighting aliens in latest 'Battleship' trailer
Liam Neeson prepares for a showdown in sailors vs. aliens saga
- Critic's Rating C-
- Readers' Rating B
The latest and, presumably, final trailer for Universal's epic board game adaptation "Battleship" will do nothing to put a stop to the inevitable -- and, so far, totally accurate -- "Transformers 4" jokes.
The trailer starts like so many sci-fi trailers do -- with a group of military personnel (or, often times, scientists) discovering a seemingly dead alien life form while on a routine mission. We care because the Naval officers in question include Taylor Kitsch, Liam Neeson, Rihanna and Alexander Skarsgard.
Once the aliens attack, there's plenty of top quality CG action, some gunplay and little dialogue, and we see more of the aliens than in earlier footage (they only have four fingers! Kill 'em all!). However, "Battleship" better have more up its sleeve if it wants to compete with the likes of "The Avengers" or "The Dark Knight Rises" this summer. Director Peter Berg has earned fans with his skewed takes on genre fare like "Hancock," "Very Bad Things" and "The Rundown" (he also steered "Friday Night Lights" from film to TV), but "Battleship" appears lacking in personality and looks less like a movie than pure product.
Liam Neeson acts like Liam Neeson (never a bad thing). The fetching Rihanna looks tough. Beautiful Brooklyn Decker looks worried. Hong Kong gets destroyed. The only question that remains is: If this joins "John Carter" in the red, will Kitsch's career as a leading man be over before it started?
"Battleship" opens nationwide May 18.
What do you think of the trailer? Grade it at the top of the story.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
13 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback