Interview: 'Slumdog Millionaire' star Dev Patel talks martial arts and 'The Last Airbender'
What does the actor think of the film's race controversy?
The British actor was able to use his physical talents -- he's a black belt in taekwondo -- in his character of Zuko, of the Fire Nation, though the film demanded a multitude of different martial arts. And for his particularl act of fire bending, Patel only had a month to train, after Jesse McCartney (who was originally cast as Zuko) had to drop from the film.
"It's Impossible to learn a proper martial art in a month, Patel said. "But it came a lot easier than dancing in 'Slumdog,' that's for sure."
Patel went on to describe how his part in the film sometimes coincides with moments in his personal life, with critics "summarzing" his life and career "in one sentence."
He also touched on how the "controversy" around race and the casting for the film isn't what it's cracked up to be, mentioning that filming was like "walking through Heathrow Airport."
"The Last Airbender" is now playing nationwide.
News From Our Partners
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After