Sam Worthington talks about the 'challenge' of making an 'Avatar' sequel
Plus: The 'Clash of the Titans' star talks about his bad relationship with horses, bloggers and getting slimed
It's hard to believe, but just a year ago no one outside of Hollywood or Australia really knew who Sam Worthington was. Yes, Worthington had already been discovered by James Cameron and filmed his role as Jake Sully in "Avatar," but beyond some critically acclaimed TV and film work in Aussie, he was just "that guy" in the trailer for the new "Terminator" movie with Christian Bale.
How times change.
Now, after "Avatar's" record breaking $2.66 billion in ticket sales, Worthington is a globally recognized box office star who is about to enjoy his second big hit in a row with Louis Leterrier's remake of "Clash of the Titans." As Perseus, Worthington plays the classic Greek hero who battles Medusa, defies his father Zeus and saves the fair Andromeda from Poseidon's monster (which in "Clash" is named the Kracken). It's the 33-year-old's third genre film in a row and after at first seeming very uncomfortable with the spotlight he may finally be starting to get the hang of all this fandom. When you watch this new interview with HitFix's own Melinda Newman, you'll discover a Worthington cheerfully blunt when discussing everything from his mistrust of horses, how his statements to journalists have been misinterpreted online or in print and, most important, where he wants to see Jake in any future "Avatar" sequel (and it's not what you think).
This is a far cry from the shy and un-charismatic Worthington this writer met on the set of "Salvation" almost two years ago. Perhaps he's finally getting comfortable having so much of his life documented by the media. Or more likely, maybe he knew what trouble "Salvation" was in at the time. That sounds like an excellent question for HitFix's next interview with the "Titans" star.
You can view the highly entertaining interview with Worthington embedded in this story or for a larger version, click here.
For a taste of what's on Worthington's iPod these days, click here.
For a slew of impressive new "Clash" images, click here.
News From Our Partners
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman