Watch: Radiohead collaborator Nigel Godrich unveils new band Ultraista
Atoms For Peace's Joey Waronker also featured on new song 'Smalltalk'
Nigel Godrich is a busy dude.
Famous as the "sixth member of Radiohead" -- his production work has helped them shape their ever-evolving sound -- Godrich has also produced for Beck, Paul McCartney (yes, the Paul McCartney), Pavement, U2 and indie upstarts Here We Go Magic. He's also a member of Thom Yorke's side project Atoms for Peace along with Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea.
However, he still somehow had time to record with his own new band, Ulraista. They've just released a video for their song "smalltalk," which you can watch below:
Ultraista includes Joey Waronker (who has also worked with Atoms For Peace, R.E.M., and Beck, among others) and London artist-singer Laura Bettison. The song's synth-driven indie-dance rock sounds in league with Radiohead's more recent work, albeit with a much lighter touch. Led by singer Bettison's vocals, "smalltalk" also bring to mind a cleaner version of Stereolab's Krautrock revivalism.
The video itself doesn't offer much of a look at the band; it's mostly a close-up of Bettison crooning while bathed in ever-shifting psychedelic hues. Far out.
So far, "smalltalk" is the only thing they've released, but stay tuned for more material from one of music's busiest innovators.
What do you think of the song?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
over 1 year ago
over 1 year ago
|Discuss Gear Talk on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain