Phish heads to the big screen in 3-D concert documentary
Should Smell-O-Vision could be perfected in time? Contact high.
It's sort of like Avatar, with more half-clothed hippies.
But seriously folks, Phish is getting its own 3-D film, the aptly titled "Phish 3D," which heads to movie theaters in select markets on April 20.
The concert documentary takes footage from the band's stint at Festival 8, live from Indio, Calif., last October. That would be the same weekend that the jam band covered the Rolling Stones' "Exile on Main Street" start to finish.
Boston, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, New York City, Washington, D.C., Raleigh and Burlington, Vermont (the band's hometown) will all have screenings starting on April 20, while the film goes wide on April 30. It will be in select theaters for week-long runs only.
Fans can sign up for more detailed information newsletter-style via the "Phish 3D" website. Tickets for the early screenings go up today.
Tickets are currently for sale, too, for the band's extensive summer tour dates, running May through August. Click here for all of those.
The band has endeavored to the big screen another time: in 2004, they made a live simulcast of their farewell concert at the Coventry Festival, before they took a break for five years.
Phish's last studio release, "Joy," was out last year.
The video below previews some of the material and footage: No 3-D glasses required.
News From Our Partners
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn