Watch: Nifty new 9-minute viral video for David Fincher's 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'
Latest bit of creative marketing takes us back to the days of 'Hard Copy'
- Critic's Rating A-
- Readers' Rating n/a
Columbia is going whole-hog with their viral campaign for "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" via Mouth Taped Shut, an "unofficial" "Dragon Tattoo"-related Tumblr blog that regularly pushes new content connected to the upcoming film. The most recent post on the site represents perhaps the most ingenious bit of viral marketing for the film yet: a faux video segment of the now-defunct syndicated tabloid TV series "Hard Copy" that reports on Harriet Vanger's mysterious disappearance.
Listen: 6 songs from Trent Reznor's 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' soundtrack
Nine Inch Nails mastermind releases complete tracklist, sells it the only way...
The 9-minute video, designed to look like it was uploaded off an old VHS tape, does a great job of affecting the style of an old VHS recording, with all the glitches and audio/visual deficiencies that entails. It even goes so far as to include brief snippets of old (seemingly real) commercials from the late '80s/early '90s around the margins ("Nothing else delights you like Sunny Delight!"), and - having made many similar recordings myself as a kid - the effect is pretty spot-on I must say.
Indeed, from the stuffed-shirt anchors (with "Burt Nolan" subbing for the actual show's "Barry Nolan") to the shoestring reenactments, the video pretty much nails the tone of the original show, my only gripe being that the talking heads are a little too "actor-y" to approximate the feel of real interview subjects.
Overall, I applaud the "Dragon Tattoo" marketing team's imaginative efforts to promote the film, and this video is a great example of what a little ingenuity can pull off.
My grade for the video: "A-". After viewing the full clip below, be sure and rate it for yourself at top left!
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" hits theaters on December 21st.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition