Watch: Miley Cyrus squares off with on-screen mom Demi Moore in 'LOL' trailer
Singer/actress sows her wild oats in upcoming drama
- Critic's Rating C-
- Readers' Rating B-
Miley Cyrus grapples with "growing-up issues" in the upcoming drama "LOL", based on the 2008 French film of the same name written and directed by Lisa Azuelos (who returns behind the camera here). Why it was necessary to remake a film that's essentially about a mother and her teenage daughter coming into conflict as the latter begins to rebel is beyond me, but nevertheless here it is, and the first trailer for the film has hit the web.
Played by Sophie Marceau in the original movie, the role of the mother has been taken over by Demi Moore in the remake, with the actress playing a 40-something divorcee who is having trouble reigning in her high-school age daughter Lola (Cyrus) as she begins experimenting with sex, drinking and drugs.
Given the recent cinematic output of the film's two main stars - though Moore has, in fairness, starred in at least a couple of well-received indies over the past couple of years - and the rather generic feel of the trailer, it's hard not to think that "LOL" will be a second-rate family drama without much appeal outside of aging "Hannah Montana" viewers looking to see their girl get down 'n' dirty.
My grade for the trailer: C-
After viewing it for yourself below, be sure and rate it at top left!
"LOL" is expected to hit theaters sometime later this year.
News From Our Partners
- Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video] Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best?
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel