Watch: Mark Wahlberg talks family angle in 'Contraband' and Golden Globes
Interview with actor reveals some excitement for incoming 'Boardwalk Empire' awards
One last job goes wrong. A simple smuggling becomes a bigger heist. The story has been told over and over again in Hollywood, but "Contraband" actor and producer Mark Wahlberg sees a little more to this crime-thriller.
"It's got all the action and stuff that people enjoy, but it's really about family," Wahlberg told HitFix in our recent interview. "The guy has to be as smart and as quick on his toes as he is with his fists."
"The guy" is his character Chris Farraday, an ex-smuggler who returns to his old pastime in order to save his brother-in-law from a serious debt to a local crime lord in New Orleans. This film is a remake of 2008's "Reykjavik-Rotterdam," starring Baltasar Kormákur, who turned around and directed "Contraband."
Wahlberg thinks American audiences will be excited because "the writing is really good" and the "best actors possible" rounded out the cast -- faces like Giovanni Ribisi as bad guy Tim Briggs, Ben Foster as Farraday's troubled best friend and Kate Beckinsale as Farraday's wife.
As the movie opens this weekend (Jan. 13), the 40-year-old actor will have another reason to keep his eyes on the headlines. "Boardwalk Empire" is up for another slew of Golden Globe awards, and Wahlberg with his executive co-producers Terry Winter, Martin Scorsese, Tim Van Patten and Stephen Levinson are thrilled to be backing their cast.
"It's always nice when you can get that kind of recognition for your work," Wahlberg said of the various nominations. "Hopefully we'll win again this year."
News From Our Partners
- Interview: Arrested Development’s Jeffrey Tambor on the show’s return and inevitable movie Gateways To Geekery: An initiation into the psychedelic sci-fi rock of Hawkwind Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad
- Jennifer Aniston Strips In New Movie AMC Boss Reveals Plans For 'The Walking Dead's' Future Amy's Baking Co. Owner Facing Deportation?
- Rihanna Bares Butt on Instagram [Pic] Kid Ink to Release 'Almost Home' EP on May 28, Tour With Kendrick Lamar Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- Netflix's 'Hemlock Grove': Is Season 2 in the Cards? 'Arrow' Season 2: What Major Scene Was Cut From the Finale? J.J. Abrams Adresses 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Underwear Scene by Showing Benedict Cumberbatch Showering