Watch: Kristen Stewart talks 'Welcome to the Rileys,' from 'Twilight' to stripper poles
Is there anything the 'Breaking Dawn' actress took from her seedy New Orleans set?
"I have a couple pairs of ridiculous underwear that I'll never wear again," Stewart laughed during her interview with HitFix, noting that her set pieces and costumes from "Welcome to the Rileys" bordered on the unusually seedy.
The young actress stars as Mallory, a teenaged runaway who works as a stripper and turns tricks in New Orleans to scrape by. Her laugh-it-off toughness is countered by Doug (James Gandolfini) and Lois (Melissa Leo) -- a married couple who'd lost their daughter in a car wreck -- suddenly propelled into her hard-knock life.
It's not a life, on paper, to which Stewart could easily relate, but when it came time for certain scenes to shoot, things got "incredibly real."
One of those was shot outside of a motel, after one of Mallory's "clients" takes off with the bulk of her money and she's forced to call Doug for help. "As much as [Mallory's] used to that line of work, I cannot relate to that at all," Stewart said. "I was scared that I was gonna do an impression of something instead of going through it."
Stewart also stepped outside of her usual skin as Joan Jett in "The Runaways," which premiered at the same time earlier this year as "Rileys" at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival. She was caught busily promoting both films, which was more of a relief than a major working stress.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
That excitement grows, now, as Rileys goes wide to theaters, and Stewart's fans from "The Twilight Saga" see a very different side of Stewart's Bella Swan.
"It's funny to me... that people are like, 'Oh my gosh, she's in a stripper movie,'" she explains. The two-part and final stretch in the vampiric series "Breaking Dawn" has just begun production. "I figure that people expect that from actors, that they want to do different stuff. I totally acknowledge that I am so very tied into the whole 'Twilight' thing and a lot of people -- that's all they've ever seen of me."
"Welcome to the Rileys" is out on Oct. 25.
Follow HitFix’s Katie Hasty on Twitter for more music and movie news at /katieaprincess.
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single Watch This: Ronin is a triumph of crime-flick economy Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly
- Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His Son Ho Young's Girlfriend Found Dead Listen to The-Dream Collaborate With Beyonce on 'Turnt'
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Charlotte Robinson: Somer Bingham Talks LGBT Issues and Life After The Real L Word (AUDIO) PHOTOS: Has Ellen Had Enough Of LA? Jennifer Aniston On 'Friends' Reunion: 'We All Miss Working Together'
- 'Metallica Through the Never' Trailer: Angry Mobs and "Master of Puppets" 'Timecop' Being Remade, As All Movies Eventually Must 'We're The Millers' Red Band NSFW Trailer: Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis Smuggle Drugs
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey