Watch: Julianne Moore as Sarah Palin and Ed Harris as John McCain in 'Game Change' trailer
HBO film also stars Woody Harrelson and Ron Livingston
- Critic's Rating A-
- Readers' Rating C
The makers of "Recount," which dramatized the turbulent (and seemingly unresolvable) presidential election of 2000, are at it again. With "Game Change," writer Danny Strong and director Jay Roach are focused on the Republican frontrunners of the 2008 election cycle, namely Senator John McCain and his running mate, Gov. Sarah Palin.
And, by golly, did they cast to type.
Ed Harris (with some added hair) is a dead ringer for McCain, while Moore doesn't quite look as much like Palin as, say, Tina Fey, but should have no problem delivering the dramatic chops. Palin's nasally vocal quirks are fairly easy to mimic, but tough to sound believable. From the one sentence in the trailer, it's hard to tell if Moore has pulled it off. While she's usually a wiz with accents and affectations ("A Single Man" and "The Big Lebowski" come to mind), her over-the-top Boston accent on "30 Rock" was heavily criticized by fans.
The plot probably doesn't need to be explained, but after the Democratic party position Barack Obama as their '08 frontrunner, the GOP decides to shake things up by adding outspoken Alaskan governor Palin to the ticket with McCain. Woody Harrelson plays senior campaign strategist Steve Schmidt. "Game Change" also stars Ron Livingston, Sarah Paulson, Peter MacNicol and more.
"Game Change," based on Mark Halperin and John Heilemann's book of the same name, premieres in March on HBO.
What do you think of Harris and Moore in the trailer?
News From Our Partners
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard