Watch: Jonah Hill asks Channing Tatum to the prom in '21 Jump Street' red-band trailer
A buddy-comedy take on the iconic Fox TV series
Whatever happened to Richard Grieco, anyway? Who's going to play the Holly Robinson character? The show couldn't have ended that long ago, because I watched the damn thing during its original run and I'm only 22 years old! Right?
Thoughts like these likely went through the heads of anyone past a certain age when they heard that a big-screen adaptation of the iconic Fox series "21 Jump Street" was being produced, though in truth the resulting film falls far more in line with cinematic buddy action-comedies like "48 Hours" and "Bad Boys" than the more serious-minded, ensemble nature of the original show.
That sensibility is more than evident in the new "Superbad"-esque trailer (keep in mind that it's "red-band", i.e. NSFW), as it showcases the "Lethal Weapon"-meets-"Pineapple Express" vibe of the plot, which centers on two buffoonish bike cops (Channing Tatum and a slimmed-down Jonah Hill) who are transferred to the "21 Jump Street" division by virtue of their relatively youthful looks. There, they are tasked with posing as teenagers in order to infiltrate an undeground party-drug circuit at a nearby high school (note the plethora of jokes aimed at Tatum's obvious age disparity with the rest of the students).
The film was written by Hill and Michael Bacall and also stars Ellie Kemper, Brie Larson, Ice Cube and Dave Franco (with Johnny Depp, who is not seen in the trailer, appearing in an as-yet-unspecified minor role). It was co-directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller, the duo that helmed the 2009 animated hit "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs".
"21 Jump Street" hits theaters on March 16, 2012. Check out the trailer below and let us know what you think!
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'