Johnny Depp, Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder, Patti Smith defend the West Memphis Three in Arkansas concert
New supergroup Fistful of Mercy and Dixie Chicks' Natalie Maines also performed at Little Rock benefit gig
Eddie Vedder and Johnny Depp are both outspoken activists in the legal causes of The West Memphis Three, so it only makes sense they connected on stage, in song.
The Pearl Jam frontman and actor, on guitar, played a pair of Patti Smith tunes together at a West Memphis Three "Voices for Justice" benefit concert in Little Rock, Ark., on Saturday (Aug. 28). It was appropriate, too, that Smith herself joined in the collaboration. The trio performed "Dancing Barefoot" and several of the night's acts joined them on "People Have the Power." Videos below.
The newly dubbed supergroup Fistful of Mercy and the Dixie Chicks' Natalie Maines also headlined the night.
The West Memphis Three are a trio of men who have been imprisoned for 17 years for the murder of three young boys. Their arrests, trials and convictions were marred by improper procedures, misjudgements and lack of evidence, which have led many to cry for retrials or exoneration. Voices for Justice was created to raise awareness and proceeds for the Three's legal fund.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy