Watch: Johnny Depp channels Hunter S. Thompson again in 'Rum Diary' clips
Amber Heard and Aaron Eckhart co-star in Bruce Robinson-directed film
In "The Rum Diary," the chameleon-like Johnny Depp does his best Hunter S. Thompson impression again, as he did in Terry Gilliam's 1997 cult film "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas."
Like that film, "Diary" is inspired by the work of Thompson, although Depp's character goes under a made up name.
In the movie, writer Paul Kemp (Depp) moves from 1950's New York to the sandy seemingly utopic surroundings of Puerto Rico, where he covers some very strange goings-on for the local paper.
The film also stars Amber Heard ("The Playboy Club"), Richard Jenkins ("The Visitor"), Giovanni Ribisi ("Avatar") and "The Dark Knight Rise's" Aaron Eckhart.
In the first clip (above), handsome Depp and beautiful Heard meet-cute, and the former pulls out an age-old gag mixing up astronomy and astrology.
The second clip finds Kemp talking business with an American emigre named Sanderson (Eckhart) with money on his mind:
Not the most excited clips of all-time, but they indicate that Depp's performance will be significantly more subdued than his scenery chewing "Fear and Loathing" work.
"Diary" also marks the long-awaited return of "Withnail & I" director Bruce Robinson. His most recent film, the less-than-stellar "Jennifer 8," was released almost twenty years ago.
"The Rum Diary" opens October 28.
News From Our Partners
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy