Watch: 'Hunger Games' star Jennifer Lawrence visits the 'House at the End of the Street' in new trailer
Actress ventures into the horror genre in upcoming film
- Critic's Rating C-
- Readers' Rating B+
"What's the point? They're all the same. Some stupid killer stalking some big-breasted girl who can't act who is always running up the stairs when she should be running out the front door. It's insulting." - Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell), "Scream"
This is exactly the quote that ran through my mind while watching the trailer for "House at the End of the Street", the latest generic-looking thriller from Rogue Pictures that looks assembled from the discarded parts of a dozen other slick-but-empty teen thrillers like, say, "The Uninvited" or the "Prom Night" remake.
That being said, the "can't act" part doesn't really apply here, given that the lead in this particular studio slot-filler is none other than Jennifer Lawrence, who as you might have heard by now is currently starring in a little indie movie called "The Hunger Games" opposite Lenny Kravitz. Based on a book, or something.
In any case, Rogue must be absolutely tickled that they managed to snag Lawrence before she shot into the stratosphere of mega-fame, because it means their $7 million little thriller actually has a chance of raking in a decent amount of opening-weekend box-office this September before inevitably petering out, the way these sorts of offerings are known to do.
Ok, so I'll admit that it isn't exactly fair to judge the quality of a movie based on a single trailer, and for all I know "House at the End of the Street" is actually a decent little thriller. But I gotta say, when a studio feels the need to shoehorn every last shot of Jennifer Lawrence's cleavage into only 2 1/2 minutes of screen time in order to sell their movie, it's not exactly a good sign.
My grade for the trailer: C-. After watching it below, be sure and rate it for yourself at top left!
Follow me on Twitter @HitFixChris
"House at the End of the Street" was directed by Mark Tonderai and co-stars Max Thierot and Elisabeth Shue. It's slated for release on September 21.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One