Watch: Ice Cube and Rob Riggle talk '21 Jump Street' and stereotypes
Cube's new music, plus: What makes people from Overland Park, Kan. funny?
An angry black man and a jerk-off gym teacher. "21 Jump Street" has its share of fun stereotypes, from both high school movies and buddy-cop films. Rob Riggle and Ice Cube are both aware of the roles. And both had a lot of fun.
"You've seen the character a thousand times, so to me to try to make this guy a little more different was taking it too seriously," Ice Cube told HitFix during our interview. "What I gave is what you wanted out of him."
"[Directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller] had a very clear vision of what they wanted. One of their strengths is that they let us improvise," Rob Riggle said. "You shoot whats on the page. And we did... and then they would free it up. Then we would play... and a lot of times that stuff made it into the film."
Cube talked about other projects, like producing, his forthcoming solo album, and his desire to maybe "doing more dramas."
On the other hand, Riggle tried to explain why funny people like he, Jason Sudeikis and Paul Rudd are all from Overland Park, Kansas (this writer's hometown).
"It must've been something in the water," he laughed. He actually had an opportunity to discuss their position in comedy at a charity event in Kansas City. Not knowing each other at the time, they all determined the one thing they had in common: "We all went to game six of the World Series in 1985."
(The Kansas City Royals won.)
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title