Watch: 'Hotel Transylvania' opens for business in new trailer
Can the animated comedy possibly compete with 'Frankenweenie' this fall?
- Critic's Rating C
- Readers' Rating C-
Bigfoot is having stomach problems in the first trailer for director Genndy Tartakovsky's new animated comedy "Hotel Transylvania", which centers on what happens when a backwoods inn for monsters is thrown into turmoil after an actual human (voiced by Andy Samberg) stumbles across it while backpacking.
The trailer for the upcoming film certainly looks decent from an animation standpoint, but it fails to make an impression the way, say, a tease for the latest Tim Burton animated creation (i.e. "Frankenweenie") might.
Indeed, it's hard to shake the feeling that while Tartakovsky (a respected animator best known for his TV work on shows including "Star Wars: Clone Wars" and "Dexter's Laboratory") and company most likely mean well with this Universal Monsters-inspired effort, it won't be able to hold a candle to a more visionary animated film like, well, Tim Burton's "Frankenweenie" (which is slated to hit theaters a mere week after "Hotel Transylvania"'s September 28th debut).
My grade for the trailer: C. After viewing it below, rate it for yourself at top left!
Follow me on Twitter @HitFixChris
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition