Watch: Guillermo del Toro talks creatures of 'Haunted Mansion,' 'Don't Be Afraid of the Dark'
The famed 'Pan's Labyrinth' director tells HitFix about the Disney flick's monsters: CGI or live action?
Guillermo del Toro described his forthcoming reboot of TV movie "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" in terms of "sweaty and rankled" balls at Comic-Con earlier in the day, but he also insists it is "beautiful and gorgeous to look at."
In an interview with HitFix, the famed "Pan's Labyrinth" director said he intended for the film to tread the line between B-grade horror and high class thrills.
"[Horror films] are meant to elicit an emotion, therefore they're meant to scare the crap out of you," he said. "But it's done with a lot of class. It's beautiful, it's gorgeous to look at... that's the high brow aspect of it.
He hoped, too, to "honor" the creatures in the original flick, though their look may still surprise you. "These creatures are hidden for a good portion of the film, but when they show up, they're absolutely terrifying."
But, as the world knows now, the Mexican director had even more big news to celebrate at the 'Con this year: on Thursday, it was announced he'd be helming up Disney's "The Haunted Mansion," based on the notorious Disneyland ride. Will it be anything like "Pirates of the Caribbean," another ride-to-film franchise?
"Only in the sense of scale," del Toro says, describing it as a "big event movie." Again, he wants to keep it "classy, beautiful," but likely won't carry the Hard R rating that "Don't Be Afraid" earned. It will be "a movie that is both fun and scary, not dark and grimy and scary."
Furthermore, he said his monsters will be both live action actors and CGI creatures, incorporating puppetry and "every trick in the book."
News From Our Partners
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman