Watch: Gary Oldman sings and dances in support of 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy'
Will this little variety performance earn him an Oscar?
Gary Oldman did the Cabbage Patch Kid dance and then sang a bit of John Lennon's "It Feels Like Starting Over" in his recent interview with HitFix. The veteran actor isn't exactly the quiet type -- having played roles from Sid Vicious to the "Dark Knight's' stalwart detective Jim Gordon to eccentric Sirius Black in the "Harry Potter" films.
But in "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy," the 53-year-old English actor is, rather, serious, as British Intelligence agent George Smiley, making his way through a mole mystery in the early 1970s. He described Smiley's character -- and the film -- as "austere."
"It was a quiet focused set," he said, mentioning he arrived every day "prepared and ready."
But when you're surrounded by other esteemed talent and countrymen like Colin Firth and Benedict Cumberbatch, he couldn't help but to have a few silly moments. He described Firth as having a little twinkle in his eye. The days they shot scenes with many of the actors altogether in the agency "control room," it "was a lot of fun."
"It's refreshing to come in and play someone who's so restrained and quiet, and yet there's so much going on," he said, calling the acting job as Smiley as the perfect palate cleanser between projects.
Check out the rest of our video interview with Oldman, who's set next to play Elvis in "Guns, Girls and Gambling," Jim Gordon (again) in "The Dark Night Rises" and Floyd Banner in John Hillcoat's "Wettest County."
News From Our Partners
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born