Watch: Dwayne Johnson's pecs do the 3-D ' love pop' in 'Journey 2' trailer
Upcoming sequel to Brendan Fraser's 'Journey to the Center of the Earth'
- Critic's Rating B-
- Readers' Rating B+
If you needed more proof that Dwayne Johnson has the best cleavage in the business, look no further than the new trailer for "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" (particularly the last 15 seconds or so), an upcoming fantasy/adventure film starring Johnson, Josh Hutcherson, Michael Caine, Vanessa Hudgens, Kristin Davis and Luis Guzman. The film is a sequel to the 2008 hit "Journey to the Center of the Earth" starring Hutcherson and Brendan Fraser (the latter of whom was reportedly unable to participate in the follow-up due to scheduling issues).
Along with its leading man, the 3-D film also got a new director in the form of Brad Peyton, who apparently enjoys helming sequels to moderate theatrical hits (his last film was "Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore"). Hopefully for Peyton and everyone else involved, audiences will realize that the film is indeed a sequel to "Journey of the Center of the Earth", which may not register with some less attentive viewers given its abbreviated title (it's not called "Journey to the Center of the Earth 2: Mysterious Island" because it's based on the Jules Verne novel "Mysterious Island", an unrelated book to Vernes' "Journey to the Center of the Earth").
In any case, you can check out the new trailer for the film below, which features lots of Dwayne Johnson in tight t-shirts, some decent-to-shoddy-looking CGI (the bee sequence looks a little weak, if we're being honest), Michael Caine channeling Richard Attenborough in "Jurassic Park", the inevitable title card reading "Believe the Impossible", and Luis Guzman doing his best to liven up the proceedings with a little watered-down family-friendly comedy.
While I'm certainly not the target audience for the movie, based on the trailer it at least looks reasonably diverting for families with kids under the age of, say, 13. Nevertheless, I will debit it somewhat for featuring some rather cheesy-looking effects and not putting enough of a focus on tying it in with the first film. As such, I'm giving this one a wobbly "B-".
What do you think of the spot? Be sure to weigh in with your own grade at the top left of the article!
"Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" hits theaters on February 10th.
News From Our Partners
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1