Watch: Dave Matthews Band 'Funny The Way It Is'
Prominently features stop-motion animation, singer's giant forehead
Dave Matthews is entrancing as a funny man.
The new video for Dave Matthews Band "Funny The Way It Is," directed by Fenton Williams and Jeff Crane, features the longtime frontman changing in and out of costumes, with tape stretched across his face, enduring handling by earnest handlers, gettting what looks like blueberry pulp being poured on his head and achieving the impossible: lip-syncing to an instrumental break.
The music video was filmed in stop-motion, in what give the illusion of one long shot. Regardless of how much actual editing was needed, the end result is impressive.
The single, culled from DMB's Billboard 200-topping "Big Whiskey and the Groogrux King," lyrically contrasts the good of the world with the bad, from babies being born to "a soldier's last breath." Our favorite line: "Somebody's heart is broken/it becomes your favorite song." It's not exactly a humorous song, in much the same way that most of Alanis Morrissette's "Ironic" hardly contained any actual ironies.
The track, at least for me, is what puts the band back in my good graces, with a structurally interesting bridge, a catchy chorus and an astounding post-Leroi energy. If only it were 30 seconds shorter so as not to breach that four-minute low-attention-span threshold. Read HitFix's full review of "Big Whiskey" here.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After Warehouse 13 "The Sky's the Limit" Review: Up Up and Away
- Microsoft Announces Foza Motorsport 5 as an Xbox One Launch Title '24: Live Another Day': Will Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe Return? Xbox One's Xbox Live Services Will Get a Boost
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra Comics Panel: New releases include an alternative detective story and a new collection examining the collective urban subconscious Permanent Records: The Breeders’ Last Splash is a rallying cry for the weirdos and stereotype-flouters
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal 'The Wolverine' New Trailer: More Ninjas, More Action and Jean Grey?
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1