Watch: Dave Matthews debuts new song 'Mercy' on Jimmy Fallon
President Obama was the guest on special episode
When Dave Matthews was picked to be the musical guest on the President Obama episode of "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon," the jam band road warrior celebrated the occasion by unveiling a new song called "Mercy."
Matthews (sans band) was joined by The Roots’ Captain Kirk Douglas on second acoustic guitar for the tune, which will likely appear on the upcoming new DMB album. Like the title suggests, the slow-burning ditty is a plea for love, peace and unity. Consistent with many of his other acoustic-driven ballads, it's unlikely to win Matthews many new fans, but his faithful followers should approve, and the addition of Douglas' falsetto harmonies give the song a haunting edge. The clip ends with Matthews giving an approving thumbs up to his duet partner.
Watch "Mercy" here:
The episode was taped on the University of North Carolina campus, where guest President Obama sat down with Fallon to discuss Mitt Romney, student loan rates, the secret service controversy and other timely items of the week. He even slow-jammed the news with house band The Roots.
Fallon took advantage of his surroundings to comment on campus life with a jokey song called "Walk of Shame." He and Matthews opened the show with the tune. Watch it below:
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)