Watch: Darren Aronofsky gets dark with Lou Reed and Metallica for 'View' video
At the very least Lou Reed likes the gritty black-and-white clip
- Critic's Rating C
- Readers' Rating C+
Feel like watching a bunch of awesome dudes pat themselves on the back for making something largely mediocre? Welcome to "The View."
Director Darren Aronofsky is known for his blunt, dark and uncompromising films like "The Wrestler," "Requiem For a Dream" and, most recently, "Black Swan." It figures that Bay Area metal gods Metallica and eternally cool New York music icon Lou Reed would ask him to direct the first video from their collaborative LP "Lulu." And, will you look at that, they came up with, in the words of Reed himself, "possibly the best video ever made"
The song itself is emblematic of the tunes found on the album: Metallica churns out some slow, sludgy, super-repetitive riffs while Reed aimlessly rambles on about magic and loss and what-not. When James Hetfield starts singing the chorus, it just sounds like a Metallica outtake.
"The first time I heard 'The View' I was stunned," said Aronofsky in a release. "I had never heard anything like it. Half was all Lou. The other half all Metallica. It was a marriage that on the surface made no sense, but the fusion changed the way I thought about both artists and morphed into something completely fresh and new. I couldn't stop listening to it. Lou's crushing lyrics, and the band's incredible licks. It's so original and that's why I wanted to work on it."
For those expecting the hyper-kinetic stylization found in most of Aronofsky's big screen work, you should maybe just watch "Pi" again (it's even in black and white).
Reed, who got his start with the convention-breaking Velvet Underground before launching a solo career that has swung between timeless pop-inflected rock like "Transformer" and difficult, confrontational work as "Metal Machine Music," has never been one to mince his words.
"I am very excited about working with Darren Aronofsky on our powerful video 'The View'," said Reed. "I feel Darren understood the power and range of the emotions fueled by the fire of Metallica. His strength and spirit are on display in every frame and I think he has caught the anger, rage and anguish at the bottom of the soul of real rock. A literate man for a literate song. As exciting as the music and that's a big compliment. Possibly the best video ever made. Black and white filmic noir".
"To have a song like 'The View' visualized through the eyes and magic touch of Darren Aronofsky is beyond my wildest dream," added Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich. "The marriage between images, music, and words in this video is indescribably thrilling and I am so next level psyched to be involved in a project that brings together the creative minds of Darren Aronofsky, Lou Reed . . . and The 'Tallica"
What do you think of the video? Grade it at the top of the article.
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When