Watch: Colin Firth talks feathers and red socks for 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy'
From whom did the 'King's Speech' actor draw for his Secret Service role?
The English actor, in his interview with HitFix, explains that his role as MI6 agent Bill Haydon is the opposite of Gary Oldman's George Smiley in a lot of ways.
"Haydon is a fantasist. He wants to be seen," Firth said. "He's the one who flirts outrageously. He wears red socks."
The commentary on details like socks is part of the "complex stuff" of the movie. It is Smiley's charge to uncover who in MI6's upper ranks is doubling as a mole for the Soviets, during this tale of espionage and the Cold War. Firth is among the "suspects," each character giving out in drips and drabs of the "odd gesture and odd line."
Firth's oddness, he said, is informed by "Lawrence of Arabia," that Haydon would be the type to "lead people into battle on a camel.
Check out the "King's Speech" actor's take on the helpfulness of John le Carre's original "Tinker Tailor" novel and more in the video above.
News From Our Partners
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal