Watch: 'Big Miracle' stars Drew Barrymore and John Krasinski on their almost-love triangle with Kristen Bell
Also: Emoting through goggles and the beauty of '80s fashion
As revealed in my previous interview with Kristen Bell, the forthcoming whale-rescue drama "Big Miracle" originally contained a love-triangle subplot between the characters played by Bell (as ambitious news reporter Jill Jerard), Drew Barrymore (as Greenpeace activist Rachel Kramer) and John Krasinski (as small-town reporter Adam Carlson) that was later significantly toned down once it was decided the film contained too many plot strands.
Nevertheless, I couldn't help but follow up on that little morsel of info when I sat down with Barrymore and Krasinski later in the day, with Krasinski addressing it by pointing out that while the romantic triangle was, indeed, largely dropped, Bell's character still serves a pivotal role in the story for other reasons.
"Kristen's character...was an option that [my character] thought he wanted, which I still think comes across in the movie, but more on the ambition side...the fact that he really wanted to be doing what she was doing and sort of achieve greatness with her in the news world," he said. "But the relationship never sort of came around that Kristen and i were actually together [romantically]."
As for Barrymore, I made a point of asking her about filming the beautifully-shot underwater scene in which her character (who is based on former Alaska Greenpeace director Cindy Lowry) dives beneath the Alaskan ice to swim with the three trapped gray whales who become the focus of an international rescue effort. At one point, the actress (who didn't actually dive with real whales for the scene, in case you were wondering) is required to emote her feelings through a massive pair of goggles using only her eyes - a feat made easier thanks to the help of a few new friends.
"Luckily i got to swim with some seals at one point...actually while we were filming that [scene], and they were in the tank with me up in Alaska," said Barrymore. "So I was in heaven cause i was with like a bunch of beautiful rescued seals. I just think that if you're thinking about what this story is, the empathy just sort of bubbles up inside of you, and if anything I just thought, maybe don't overdo it because you're trying to compensate for goggles."
You can check out the full interview above, in which - among other tidbits - Krasinski spills on his admiration for the remarkably tacky '80s fashions worn in the film by co-star Kristen Bell. Also: What subplot was almost completely deleted from the finished film?
Also: What subplot was almost completely deleted from the finished film?
"Big Miracle" hits theaters this Friday.
Follow me on Twitter @HitFixChris
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
10 days ago
29 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...