Ben Stiller not afraid to be unsympathetic in 'Greenberg'
A rare dramatic turn for the comedy star and director
It's been awhile, but serious fare is nothing new to Ben Stiller. Best known for his roles in the popular "Meet the Parents" and "Night at the Museum" franchises, Stiller went through a phase about a decade ago where he dabbled in more dramatic films. Some, as you'd expect, were more successful than others.
He drew acclaim for his role as a heroin addicted comedy writer in "Permanent Midnight" even if the film didn't. Stiller also teamed up with longtime comedy collaborator Owen Wilson in Wes Anderson's ensemble "The Royal Tenenbaums," but its his role in Neil LaBute's "Your Friends & Neighbors" which is arguably his most successful non-comedic role to date. Now, Stiller is jumping back into the fray as the title character in Noah Baumbach's "Greenberg."
Set in contemporary Los Angeles, Stiller plays Greenberg (hence the title), a 40-year-old man in a major mid-life crisis who is watching his brother's house while he and his family are on vacation. Through the course of the film, Greenberg tries to reunite with a former flame (Jennifer Jason Leigh), dabbles in some promiscuous sex with his brother's assistant (a star on the rise Greta Gerwig) and comes to grips with career mistakes he made years ago that put his best friend (Rhys Ifans) on a whole new career path.
HitFix's Katie Hasty spoke to Stiller earlier this month about his radical departure playing such an unsympathetic character in Baumbach's latest and also gave a quick reaction to the announcement about "Zoolander 2" going into development. You can find both interviews embedded on this page below.
"Greenberg" opens in New York and Los Angeles on Friday.
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Wars: Episode VI': What's Its Legacy... And Its Future? 'Arrested Development' Season Four: Eight Things To Remember 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In!
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig Did Justin Bieber Get a Kitten? [Pics]
- 'Avengers 2′ — Joss Whedon Talks Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD Will Let You Hold It on Your Mobile Device Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- WATCH: Gay Protest Turns Into Fashion Show What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' Game Of Desks Is HERE!
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report