Watch: Adam Scott and Chris O'Dowd talk off-screen toilet humor for 'Friends with Kids'
'Then Chris... would just pee his pants.'
Working with a cast that consists of funny characters like Adam Scott, Maya Rudolph, Kristen Wiig and Chris O'Dowd, the comedy can come out like a competition. Scott came into the group of actors fresh from from "Bridesmaids" straight into "Friends With Kids," with time off-screen resulting in a series of one-ups
"Whenever one of them would say something funny, someone else would come in and say something funnier on top of that because they don't want the other one to be funny," Scott said during his interview with HitFix in New York. O'Dowd countered that such behavior didn't come from a place of hate, but "jealousy."
And then he and Scott entered into a series of verbal one-ups of their own. It started with someone going to the bathroom. It ends, somehow, with someone peeing into someone else's mouth.
"Friends With Kids" is kind of like that, with experienced actors like Jennifer Westfeltd, Scott and Jon Hamm going toe-to-toe with the high brow and the low brow. It at times involved children's bowel movements, but then the mouth-dropping awkwardness of a girl revealing her feelings for a boy and the feeling's not mutual. It's parenthood and dating from all its ugly and funny sides.
"With our first kid -- my wife and i -- we kind of dropped out of society, and disappeared from all friendships..." Scott said, relating his own life experience to the script, "to go off the grid become a hermit with this screaming human..."
"...And a baby," O'Dowd adds.
Check out our video interview with more talk on the "kid diarrhea rom-com," O'Dowd peeing his pants and that "ouch" feeling of going for it.
Here is HitFix's interview with Hamm and Wiig.
"Friends With Kids" is out tomorrow (March 9).
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'