Watch: Adam Sandler is up to his old tricks in 'That's My Boy' trailer
On the plus side, it does look better than 'Jack & Jill'
- Critic's Rating C+
- Readers' Rating C+
Anyone with even a scintilla of taste certainly recognizes that Adam Sandler's movie career has been pretty dismal as of late, with the comedian's arguable big-screen nadir coming with last year's critically-panned "Jack and Jill" (and yes, the movie still made over $140 million worldwide).
Looked at from that perspective, his latest comedy, the forthcoming "That's My Boy", actually feels like a (very slight) step in the right direction - which of course isn't saying much but hey, we're talking about the guy who co-wrote and produced "Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star" here, so be thankful for small favors, yo.
In fairness, the premise of the movie at least has an interesting hook, with Sandler starring as a 40-something man who reconnects with the adult son he fathered as a teenager while having an affair with his super-hot middle-school teacher.
Andy Samberg plays the son in question, a wealthy self-made man who's about to tie the knot with his beautiful fiancee (played by "Gossip Girl"'s Leighton Meester) when the father he hasn't seen in years suddenly shows up on his doorstep and, you know, hijinks ensue. Burdened with an enormous IRS bill thanks to his failure to pay taxes for the last 18 years or so, Sandler's character is hoping his financially loaded offspring can lend him some dough before the Feds finally descend and toss him in the slammer.
Adam Sandler lands a record 11 2012 Razzie Award nominations
Sandler doubles Eddie Murphy's previous record
Not that we expect all that much of Sandler anymore (he also produced the film through his Happy Madison banner) , but it would've been nice to have seen the former "SNL"-er go in a less-obvious direction with the premise here. There's dark-comedy gold to be mined from such a conceit, and yet the comedian clearly wasn't interested in taking any creative risks - because as everyone knows, he doesn't already have enough money in the bank.
My grade for the trailer: C+. Watch it above and then rate it for yourself at top left!
Follow me on Twitter @HitFixChris
"That's My Boy" is slated for release on June 15.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
12 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]