Watch: Adam Sandler is up to his old tricks in 'That's My Boy' trailer
On the plus side, it does look better than 'Jack & Jill'
- Critic's Rating C+
- Readers' Rating C+
Anyone with even a scintilla of taste certainly recognizes that Adam Sandler's movie career has been pretty dismal as of late, with the comedian's arguable big-screen nadir coming with last year's critically-panned "Jack and Jill" (and yes, the movie still made over $140 million worldwide).
Looked at from that perspective, his latest comedy, the forthcoming "That's My Boy", actually feels like a (very slight) step in the right direction - which of course isn't saying much but hey, we're talking about the guy who co-wrote and produced "Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star" here, so be thankful for small favors, yo.
In fairness, the premise of the movie at least has an interesting hook, with Sandler starring as a 40-something man who reconnects with the adult son he fathered as a teenager while having an affair with his super-hot middle-school teacher.
Andy Samberg plays the son in question, a wealthy self-made man who's about to tie the knot with his beautiful fiancee (played by "Gossip Girl"'s Leighton Meester) when the father he hasn't seen in years suddenly shows up on his doorstep and, you know, hijinks ensue. Burdened with an enormous IRS bill thanks to his failure to pay taxes for the last 18 years or so, Sandler's character is hoping his financially loaded offspring can lend him some dough before the Feds finally descend and toss him in the slammer.
Adam Sandler lands a record 11 2012 Razzie Award nominations
Sandler doubles Eddie Murphy's previous record
Not that we expect all that much of Sandler anymore (he also produced the film through his Happy Madison banner) , but it would've been nice to have seen the former "SNL"-er go in a less-obvious direction with the premise here. There's dark-comedy gold to be mined from such a conceit, and yet the comedian clearly wasn't interested in taking any creative risks - because as everyone knows, he doesn't already have enough money in the bank.
My grade for the trailer: C+. Watch it above and then rate it for yourself at top left!
Follow me on Twitter @HitFixChris
"That's My Boy" is slated for release on June 15.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
9 days ago
27 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival