Warner Bros. pulls plug on 'Elfquest' adaptation
Wendy Pini says studio afraid to compete with Peter Jackson's 'The Hobbit'
Warner Bros. has decided to pull the plug on the adaptation of the comic book series "Elfquest"
Wendy Pini, co-creator of the comics along with Richard Pini, says that the upcoming box office juggernaut of "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is the reason why.
Pini's official "Elfquest" Facebook page says that the studio has bowed out of the potentially pricey adaptation in order to avoid competition with Peter Jackson's two-part "Lord of the Rings" followup.
The 1978 comic book series "Elfquest" depicts a band of elves called the Wolfriders, who walk a fantasy landscape of the Earth-like planet Adobe populated with all sorts of creatures for them to befriend or oppose. A cult hit, "Elfquest" spawned a number of other comics and was going to be turned into a '90s animated series, only for the deal to fall through.
The movie version has long been in development at Warner Bros., with writer-director Rawson Marshall Thurber (who directed "Dodgeball" and wrote "Tower Heist") attached to the project.
"The Hobbit" opens December 14, 2012, and stars Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Benedict Cumberpatch, Cate Blanchett, Christopher Lee and Elijah Wood.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
13 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Joe Satran: Who's Winning The 'Game Of Thrones'? Andrew Jenks: Where Guns Are as Common as Cell Phones Renee Graziano: Look Before You Love
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion NBC's 'Siberia': New Reality-Skewing Drama Ordered for Summer
- Hear This: With “Deceptacon,” Le Tigre captured the sound of youth in a song Watch This: Walter Hill’s The Driver is all about work done well Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! News Briefs: CBS Is Pulling Mike & Molly's Season Finale Due to a Tornado Storyline