Pixar's 'Up' to open the Cannes Film Festival
Latest Pixar entry will be Cannes' first 3-D animated opening film
Festival organizers announced Thursday (March 19) that the family film -- already dubbed Pixar's "Gran Torino" by HitFix -- will have its world premiere in Disney Digital 3-D on Wednesday, May 13, 2009.
This will be the first time that a 3-D animated film has ever opened the prestigious Festival.
"Up" is directed by Pete Docter and co-directed by "Finding Nemo" screenwriter Bob Peterson. It focuses on 78-year-old Carl, who ties thousands of balloons to his house and takes off for an adventure in South America. What the curmudgeon isn't counting on is a 9-year-old stowaway.
"Up" will be released in the United States on Friday, May 29 and it remains to be seen if, in addition to opening the Festival, it will also land a place in this year's competition.
Cannes has never had any problems acknowledging animated films, dating back to "Dumbo" in 1947. Recent animated entries in the Official Selection include "The Triplets of Belleville," "Shrek 2" and last year's "Kung Fu Panda" and "Waltz with Bashir."
Are you the only one of your friends without a Wii? HitFix wants to give you a chance to win a Wii console player, a Flip digital camera or an iTunes gift car d. Show us your entertainment know how and enter the Knowing movie contest today.
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition