U2 shining off record-breaking and historic 360 Tour
What are the final numbers on this worldwide stint?
Just days after it was announced U2's documentary will be starting off the Toronto Film Festival, the Irish rockers are making headlines for the end of era. The group's 360 Tour ends this weekend, July 30 to be exact, and it puts their attendance and revenue over the top.
According to Billboard, over 110 shows, the band grossed a whopping $736,137,344, with a worldwide attendance of 7,268,430. As previously reported, U2 broke the Rolling Stones' previous world record, of $558 million, earlier this year.
This tour's first leg began in June 30, 2009, circled the globe; they took a break after frontman Bono injured his back, and then started back up in North America this year. It was dubbed the U2 360 Tour because of its innovative stage, which featured the band to audience in a full circle. It was the first tour U2 operated since making a deal with Live Nation Entertainment.
However, it seems U2 will be taking a stretch after this stint: they don't plan on releasing a new album, the follow-up to "No Line On the Horizon" (2008), until 2012. Adam Clayton said in June that they had dropped working with dance producer RedOne but were continuing to helm a new set with Danger Mouse.
News From Our Partners
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback