'Twilight's' Catherine Hardwicke ready for a 'Maximum Ride'
This time it's The Flock vs. The Erasers
After launching the blockbuster franchise "Twilight," Catherine Hardwicke is discussing adapting and directing another yet young-adult fantasy series, "Maximum Ride" for Columbia Pictures.
James Patterson's five-volume series debuted in 2005 with "The Angel Experiment." It chronicled the adventures of six genetically altered teens that are half human/half bird. Known as "The Flock," the youngsters escape the confines of their laboratory cages and are in turn hunted by "The Erasers," a pack of humans who happen to be half wolf.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Don Payne ("Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer") is the current screenwriter on the project and former Marvel Studios head Avi Arad is producing with his partner Steven Paul.
It's not surprising the one time production designer would be sought after for the project. Hardwicke has had her biggest critical successes on films focusing on teens having previously helmed "Thirteen" and "Lords of Dogtown." Her only misstep, so far, was New Line's "The Nativity Story."
Hardwicke isn't directing the second "Twilight" feature, "The Twilight Saga: New Moon," because of a dispute with that franchise's studio, Summit Entertainment. Chris Weitz, most recently the man behind "The Golden Compass," came on board to guide the movie toward its Nov. 20 release date. "The Orphanage's" Juan Antonio Bayona was recently announced as the director of the third installment, "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse."
No word on when Columbia hopes to get "Maximum Ride" into production.
Are you the only one of your friends without a Wii? HitFix wants to give you a chance to win a Wii console player, a Flip digital camera or an iTunes gift card. Show us your entertainment know how and enter the Knowing movie contest& ;nbsp;today.
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!