TV Ratings: Thursday premieres for 'Southland,' 'Harper's Island' and 'Parks & Recreation'
CBS wins the night overall thanks to 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' and 'Survivor'
Fast National ratings April 9, 2009.
Thursday night was a busy night for premieres, with the launches of "Parks & Recreation," "Harper's Island" and "Southland." All three shows found reasons to be happy, but none of the three appears to be an out-of-the-box smash.
CBS and NBC split the night in the 18-49 demographic, each doing a 3.3 rating. FOX was a solid third in the key demo with a 2.9 rating, well ahead of the 1.3 rating for ABC and The CW's 1.3 rating.
Overall, though, CBS averaged an estimated 12.7 million viewers to go with a 7.8 rating/13 share. FOX was second with a 5.1/9, nipping the 5.0/9 for NBC. ABC's 3.4/6 and The CW's 1.3/2 trailed.
CBS swept the night overall, starting at 8 p.m. with the 6.7/12 for "Survivor: Tocantins," a low figure for the tiring reality franchise. FOX's "Bones" was second with a 5.6/10. NBC took third with "The Office" (4.5/8) and the premiere of "Parks & Recreation" (4.2/7). Note that while "The Office" beat "Survivor" in the 18-49 demo, the reality show topped "Parks & Recreation" in its closing half-hour. ABC's "In the Motherhood" and "Samantha Who" averaged a 3.2/6 between them, beating a "Smallville" repeat on The CW.
"CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" did a 9.9/16 in the 9 p.m. hour for CBS. NBC's "The Office" and "30 Rock" and FOX's "Hell's Kitchen" tied for second with a 4.5/7. ABC's repeat of "Grey's Anatomy" was fourth, beating the 13./2 for a "Smallville" repeat on The CW.
The premiere of CBS' "Harper's Island" won the 10 p.m. hour with a 6.7/12, topping the premiere of NBC's "Southland," which had a 6.2/11. Since ABC's "Private Practice" rerun was irrelevant, let's talk a bit more about the "Harper's Island" and "Southland" premieres. NBC can be pleased that the new police drama won the hour in the 18-49 demographic with a 3.2 rating and that it improved in its second half-hour. "Harper's Island" fell at the half-hour and failed to equal the numbers "Eleventh Hour" had been drawing in the same slot, though "CSI" was also on the low side as its lead-in.
All ratings information comes from preliminary Fast National Nielsen data, which includes live and same-day DVR viewing. All numbers are subject to change.
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H