TV Ratings: Sunday viewers watch NFL, 'Housewives' and 'Dance'
NBC's 'Superstars of Dance' has a decent premiere, but can't keep up with 'Desperate Housewives' or 'Cold Case'
ABC and CBS delivered new episodes of their scripted shows and NBC got encouraging returns for the premiere of "Superstars of Dance," but early Nielsen estimates have FOX winning the night thanks to a little NFL overrun.
In all, four different networks won primetime hours on Sunday.
FOX averaged a 4.6 rating in the key 18-49 demographic to take the night, beating ABC's 3.5 rating and the 2.7 rating for NBC. CBS was fourth with a 2.3 rating, still many times better than the 0.3 rating for The CW.
Overall, FOX averaged nearly 12.2 million viewers and a 7.2 rating/11 share, which tied with CBS' 7.2/11. ABC was a solid third with a 6.4/10, followed by NBC's 4.7/7 and the 0.8/1 for The CW.
The NFL playoff game between the Eagles and Vikings eked into the 7 p.m. hour and combined with postgame to give FOX a 14.3/22 for the hour. CBS was a distant second with an 8.1/13 for "60 Minutes." ABC's "America's Funniest Home Videos" finished third, while NBC's "Saturday Night Live" special focusing on sports-themed skits was fourth with a 2.7/4. A repeat of "Jericho" on The CW did a 0.6/1.
CBS stayed in first at 8 p.m. with a 6.8/10 for "Million Dollar Password," better than the 6.4/10 for "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" on ABC. FOX got a 4.5/7 from a reairing of the telefilm "24: Redemption." NBC's "SNL" special was fourth, but actually won the hour in the 18-49 demo. The CW's airing of "Trail of the Pink Panther" didn't draw much interest.
ABC moved into first place at 9 p.m. with an 8.8/13 for the return of "Desperate Housewives," which easily won its hour in the key demo. CBS' "Cold Case" was second with a 7.9/12 for "Cold Case." The first hour of NBC's "Superstars of Dance" had a 6.3/9 for third. FOX's telefilm and The CW's movie weren't really factors.
At 10 p.m., NBC's "Superstars of Dance" and CBS' "The Unit" both averaged a 6.1/10, with NBC's series holding a slim advantage in total viewers. ABC's "Brothers & Sisters" was third overall, but led the hour among viewers 18-49.
All ratings information comes from preliminary Fast National data, which includes live and same-day DVR viewing. All numbers are subject to change, particularly in the case of live events.
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged?
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office