TV Ratings: Sunday TV viewers are bullish on Bears-Packers
Sunday Night Football helps NBC dominate the ratings in all measures
NBC's regular season Sunday Night Football premiere, a tense showdown between the Packers and Bears, dominated the evening's ratings in all key measures.
Among adults 18-49, NBC averaged a 6.2 rating, far ahead of the NFL-aided 3.4 rating for FOX. CBS was a distant third in the key demographic, followed by the 1.3 rating for ABC and The CW's 0.5 rating.
Overall, NBC averaged an estimated 15.5 million viewers to go with a 9.4 rating/15 share. FOX was, again, a distant second with a 4.6/7. CBS' 4.0/6 and the 2.7/4 for ABC followed. The CW trailed with a 0.8/1 for the night.
FOX started the night in first with a 7.4/13 for NFL overrun (and non-football coverage on the left side of the country). CBS' "60 Minutes" was second with a 5.5/10. NBC's "Football Night in America" took third overall, beating the 3.6/6. The end of The CW's "Benny & Joon" was fifth.
NBC grabbed first at 8 p.m. with a 10.9/17 for the Chicago/Green Bay game. CBS had a 5.4/9 for "Big Brother," impacted in no small degree by NFL overrun. FOX's "King of the Hill" finale got an NFL boost and did a 3.6/6 (numbers that will probably go way down when final figures are released). ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" was fourth, while The CW's second reairing of the "Vampire Diaries" pilot did a 0.9/1.
Sunday Night Football had an 11.7/18 for NBC in the 9 p.m. hour. CBS' "There Goes the Neighborhood" was second with a 2.8/4, nipping FOX's "Family Guy" and "American Dad" and the 2.6/4 for ABC's "Shark Tank." The CW's second "Melrose Place" pilot reairing had a 0.6/1.
NBC stayed in first at 10 p.m. with a 10.3/17. CBS' "There Goes the Neighborhood" was down in its second hour, still beating the 1.6/3 for ABC's "Defying Gravity."
All ratings information comes from preliminary Fast National Nielsen data, which includes live and same-day DVR viewing. All numbers are subject to change, particularly in the case of live events.
News From Our Partners
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron