TV Ratings: Sugar Bowl telecast leads FOX to Friday win
FOX's telecast of the Sugar Bowl beat up on CBS' procedurals and NBC's new 'Lipstick Jungle'
Fast National ratings for Friday, Jan. 2, 2009.
Utah capped off an undefeated season by beating Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. While the Utes probably won't get a national championship out of their season, FOX got a Friday night ratings win, which isn't quite the same thing.
FOX scored a dominant 3.8 rating in the 18-49 demo, topping ABC's 1.8 rating and normal Friday winner CBS' 1.7 rating. NBC was fourth with a 1.3 rating and The CW's 0.6 rating trailed.
Overall, FOX averaged just over 11.9 million viewers and a 6.9 rating/12 share. CBS was a distant second with a 4.7/8, followed by ABC and NBC with a 3.5/6. The CW's 0.9/2 was, as per usual, in last.
FOX's Sugar Bowl coverage swept its available primetime hours, starting at 8 p.m. with a 6.3/11. NBC's "Deal or No Deal" was second with a 4.4/7, nipping "Ghost Whisperer" on CBS. ABC's "Wife Swap" was fourth with a 3.0/5. The CW aired "Everybody Hates Chris" and "The Game" for a 0.9/2.
At 9 p.m. FOX's football was up to a 7.4/12, beating the 4.7/8 for another episode of "Ghost Whisperer." ABC's "Supernanny" took third, beating the 2.9/5 for a new "Lipstick Jungle" on NBC. The CW's comedies trailed.
With FOX's 10 p.m. figures not counting in the standings, CBS moved into first with a 5.0/9 for "Numb3rs." ABC's "20/20" too second with a 4.3/7, beating "Dateline NBC."
All ratings information comes from preliminary Fast National data, which includes live and same-day DVR viewing. All numbers are subject to change.
News From Our Partners
- Rihanna Working on Eighth Album [Pic] One Direction to Release Fourth Book This Summer Beyonce Reveals Battle With Tonsillitis + 'Grown Woman' Choreography in Mrs. Carter Show Tour Videos
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS
- Xbox One Games Can Be Played By Multiple Users on One Console 'American Horror Story: Coven' Adds Emma Roberts 'Fast 6′ vs. 'Hangover 3′: Who Will Win the Memorial Day Weekend Box Office?
- New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights 'Fast & Furious 6': How Michelle Rodriguez Came Back From The Dead
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly Interview: Katie Aselton on going from mumblecore to thriller—and directing her own nude scenes TV Roundtable: Boobies, pee-pees, codependence, and grounding the shenanigans with heart