TV Ratings: NFL, 'Big Brother' lead Thursday
'The Mentalist' and 'CSI' also help CBS win overall, while FOX takes the key demo
An NFL preseason matchup between the Dolphins and the Buccaneers helped FOX win the 18-49 demo on Thursday, but CBS controlled the evening overall.
Among adults 18-49, FOX averaged a 2.3 rating, nipping the 2.1 rating for CBS in the coveted demographic. NBC was third with a 1.4 rating, with ABC's 1.1 rating and the 0.7 rating for The CW trailing.
Overall, though, CBS averaged an estimated 8.14 million viewers to go with a 5.2 rating/9 share. FOX was second with a 4.0/7, far ahead of the 2.8/5 for ABC and NBC's 2.5/4. The CW trailed with a 1.1/2.
CBS began the night in first with a 5.0/9 for "Big Brother 11," which also won its hour with a 2.7 rating in the demo. FOX's NFL preseason game had a 4.4/8 and was right behind with a 2.5 demo rating. ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" repeat took third, beating NBC's "30 Rock" and "Parks and Recreation." The CW's "Supernatural" had a 1.1/2 for third.
In the 9 p.m. hour CBS' overall lead grew with a 5.4/9 for "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation." FOX's football was down to a 3.7/6 overall, but won the hour in the 18-49 demo. Another "Grey's Anatomy" episode had a 3.1/5 for third, while NBC's "The Office" and "30 Rock" took fourth with a 2.3/4. The CW's "Supernatural" lost a few viewers.
"The Mentalist" delivered a 5.3/9 for CBS in the 10 p.m. hour. NBC's "Law & Order" had a 2.9/5 and left ABC's "Private Practice" in third.
All ratings information comes from preliminary Fast National Nielsen data, which includes live and same-day DVR viewing. All numbers are subject to change.
News From Our Partners
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me