TV Ratings: NCAA action helps CBS to elite Sunday win
NBC's 'Celebrity Apprentice' gets a big bump and ABC's 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' is solid
CBS' NCAA Tournament coverage, specifically the tail-end of the Elite Eight, extended into Sunday programming and gave the network the boost it needed to win the night in most key measures.
Among adults 18-49, CBS averaged a 3.1 rating, beating ABC's 2.8 rating, FOX's 2.6 rating and the 2.5 rating for NBC in the key demo. The CW's 0.4 rating trailed.
Overall, CBS averaged an estimated 12.1 million primetime viewers to go with a 7.5 rating/12 share. ABC was comfortably back in second with a 5.5/9. NBC's 4.9/8 was good for third, followed by the 3.2/5 for FOX. The CW's 0.8/1 trailed.
NCAA overrun plus "60 Minutes" gave CBS an 8.4/15 in the 7 p.m. hour. "Dateline NBC" was second with a 5.7/10. ABC's "America's Funniest Home Videos" took third with a 4.6/8, beating FOX's "American Dad" and "King of the Hill" repeats. The CW's "Jericho" repeat was fifth with a 0.5/1.
CBS stayed on top at 8 p.m. with "60 Minutes" and "The Amazing Race," which averaged a 7.8/12 between them. ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" was second, nearly doubling up the 3.7/6 averaged by a new "Simpsons" and a "Simpsons" repeat on FOX. NBC's "Kings" had a 3.0/5 and also finished a distant fourth in the 18-49 demo. The CW's broadcast of "War Games" was fifth.
At 9 p.m. CBS' "The Amazing Race" and "Cold Case" and ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" tied with a 7.2/11. NBC's "Celebrity Apprentice" took third, nipping the 4.1/6 for "Family Guy" and "American Dad" on FOX. The CW's movie remained last.
CBS' "Cold Case" and "The Unit" won the 10 p.m. hour overall with a 6.4/11, beating the 6.2/10 for NBC's "Celebrity Apprentice," but a heavy wave of promotion helped NBC's reality show win the hour in the 18-49 demo with ease. ABC's "Desperate Housewives" trailed.
All ratings information comes from preliminary Fast National Nielsen data, which includes live and same-day DVR viewing. All numbers are subject to change, particularly in the case of live events.
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion