TV Ratings: NBC's fireworks beat CBS' fireworks on slow July 4th
Repeat of NBC's special actually beats live telecast of CBS' special
Viewers preferred NBC's July 4 fireworks special to CBS' version on an otherwise incredibly slow, low-rated Monday night in the ratings" class="autolink">Nielsen ratings.
Thanks to a double run of the "Macy's Fourth of July Fireworks Spectacular," NBC won the night with a 1.6 average rating in the demographic of adults 18-49 and an average of 6.3 million viewers overall. CBS was second with a 1.0 rating and 4.8 million viewers, followed by ABC (0.8, 3.1 million), FOX (0.7, 1.9 million) and the CW (0.2, 434,000).
8 p.m. -- Repeats all around, all of them barely watched. The one-eyed man that in the kingdom of the blind for this hour was NBC's "America's Got Talent," which got a 1.2 demo rating and 4.9 million viewers, followed by CBS' combo of "How I Met Your Mother" and "Mike & Molly" (0.9, 3.3 million), FOX's "Masterchef" (0.9, 2.3 million), ABC's "The Bachelorette" (0.7, 3.1 million) and the CW's "90210" (0.2, 510,000).
9 p.m. -- NBC's telecast of the Macy's special, featuring performances from Beyonce and Brad Paisley, easily won an otherwise repeat-filled hour with a 2.1 demo rating and 8.6 million viewers. It was followed by "Two and a Half Men" and "Mike & Molly" on CBS (1.1, 4.8 million), more of "The Bachelorette" on ABC (0.7, 3.1 million), "House" on FOX (0.5, 1.6 million) and "Gossip Girl" on the CW (0.1, 358,000).
10 p.m. -- NBC's instant replay of the Macy's special actually won this hour, too, with a 1.4 demo rating and 5.3 million viewers overall. CBS' "Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular," with performances by Martina McBride, actually won the hour in viewers, with 6.6 million, but only pulled a 1.1 in the demo, barely ahead of the 18-49 numbers for ABC's repeat of "Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition" (1.0, 3.0 million).
All ratings information comes from preliminary Fast National Nielsen data, which includes live and same-day DVR viewing. All numbers are subject to change.
News From Our Partners
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra