TV Ratings: 'Mentalist' helps CBS split Thursday with ABC
'FlashForward' holds in Week Two, joining 'Grey's Anatomy' and 'Private Practice' to give ABC the key demo
After taking a beating against "Grey's Anatomy" last week, "The Mentalist" bounced back against the premiere of "Private Practice" to help CBS win Thursday night overall. Still, with "FlashForward" holding respectably to start the night, ABC had no trouble winning Thursday night in the key demographic.
Among adults 18-49, ABC averaged a 4.7 rating, beating the 3.8 rating for CBS in the demo advertisers crave. FOX was a distant third with a 2.5 rating, followed by the 2.2 rating for NBC. The CW trailed with a 1.4 rating.
Overall, though, CBS averaged an estimated 14.17 million viewers to go with an 8.9 rating/15 share. ABC Was a close second with an 8.0/13. FOX was well back in third with a 4.7/7, with NBC's 3.4/6 taking fourth. The CW was fifth with a 1.9/3.
After falling behind ABC last week, CBS' "Survivor: Samoa" won the 8 p.m. hour with a 7.1/12. ABC's "FlashForward" was second with a 6.7/11. While "FlashForward" lost nearly 2 million viewers overall, it only fell from a 4.1 rating to a 3.7 rating in the key demo, tying with "Survivor." FOX's "Bones" was third with a 5.6/9. NBC's "Weekend Update Thursday" and "Parks and Recreation" were fourth. The CW's "Vampire Diaries" had a 2.2/4 overall and showed improvements in several of the demos the netlet prizes.
It was a tight race in the 9 p.m. hour. With a 9.8/15, "Grey's Anatomy" seemed to beat CBS' "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation." However, the CBS procedural held a slim advantage in total viewers (15.6 million vs. 15.36 million). However again, ABC had a big advantage in the 18-49 demo (6.0 rating to a 4.0 rating). NBC's "The Office" (4.3/7) and "Community" (3.4/5) were third, beating the 3.7/6 for "Fringe," which was actually up slightly from last week. The CW's "Supernatural" was steady with its season averages.
CBS won the 10 p.m. hour overall with a 9.8/17 for "The Mentalist," up from last week. ABC's "Private Practice" had a 7.6/13 and comfortably won the hour in the 18-49 demo with a 4.5 rating. NBC's "The Jay Leno Show" hit series lows in viewers, slipping slightly from last Thursday's lows.
All ratings information comes from preliminary Fast National Nielsen data, which includes live and same-day DVR viewing. All numbers are subject to change.
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!