TV Ratings: 'Desperate Housewives' battles 'Survivor' on Finale Sunday
ABC narrowly wins the 18-49 demo, while CBS narrowly wins overall
The two-hour finale for ABC's "Desperate Housewives" went head-to-head with the three-hour finale of CBS' "Survivor: Tocantins," as ABC and CBS forged a Sunday night tie, each claiming some ratings triumph.
Among adults 18-49, ABC averaged a 3.6 rating, nipping the 3.5 rating for CBS. FOX was third in the key demographic with a 2.4 rating, topping the 1.3 rating for NBC and The CW's 0.3 rating.
Overall, CBS and ABC both averaged a 6.7 rating/11 share, but CBS' average audience of 11.83 million beat the 10.76 million for ABC. NBC was a distant third with a 3.2/5, followed by the 2.9/5 for FOX and The CW's 0.8/1.
CBS started the night in first with a 6.3/12 for "60 Minutes." ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" was second with a 3.8/7. NBC's "Dateline" was third with a 3.2/6, topping FOX's repeats of "King of the Hill" and "American Dad." The CW's "Jericho" repeat had a 0.5/1 for fifth.
The first hour of the "Survivor" finale had a 6.5/11 for CBS in the 9 p.m. hour, better than the 5.6/9 for "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition." NBC's "Dateline" improved in its second hour and beat the 3.2/5 for "The Simpsons" and "King of the Hill" on FOX. The CW's Random Movie of the Night was "License to Kill," which finished fifth.
ABC moved into first at 9 p.m. with an 8.4/13 for "Desperate Housewives." CBS' "Survivor: Tocantins" had a 7.3/11 for second, though it beat ABC's soap in the 18-49 demo. FOX's "Family Guy" and "American Dad" had a 3.8/6 for third, bettering the 2.6/4 for NBC's "Saturday Night Live" special "Just the Shorts." The CW's movie trailed.
"Desperate Housewives" improved to a 9.0/15 in its second hour, while CBS' "Survivor" was down to a 6.6/11 for its results and the live reunion special. NBC's "SNL" showcase trailed.
All ratings information comes from preliminary Fast National Nielsen data, which includes live and same-day DVR viewing. All numbers are subject to change.
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING