TV Ratings: Grand Ole Tuesday win for FOX's 'American Idol'
CBS' 'NCIS' and 'The Mentalist' are strong, while ABC's 'Dancing with the Stars' has less Tuesday wattage
Grand Ole Opry Night on FOX's "American Idol" had no trouble crushing its Tuesday night rivals, but if you're looking for one of the spring's most interesting running storylines, FOX's reality juggernaut drew an almost identical number of viewers on Tuesday to the audience ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" pulled in on Monday.
Among adults 18-49, FOX drew an 8.0 rating, far ahead of the 3.3 rating for NBC, CBS' 2.9 rating and the 2.2 rating for ABC. The CW was last in the key demographic with a 0.6 rating.
Overall, FOX averaged an estimated 21.54 million viewers and a 12.1 rating/19 share. CBS was a solid second with a 9.1/15, followed by the 6.2/10 for ABC. NBC's 5.7/9 was a close fourth. The CW's 0.9/1 was not a close fifth.
In the 8 p.m. hour, FOX's "American Idol" did an 11.6/19 to comfortable win the hour. CBS' "NCIS" had a 9.7/16 for second. A recap of Monday's "Dancing with the Stars" was third for ABC, beating the 4.6/7 for the first hour of "Biggest Loser: Couples" on NBC. The CW's "Reaper" had a 1.2/2 for fifth.
"American Idol" was up to a 12.7/19 in the 9 p.m. hour for FOX. CBS' "The Mentalist" was second with a 9.8/15. The first "Dancing with the Stars" results episode of the season was third with an 8.1/12 (fourth in the key demo), beating the second hour of "Biggest Loser: Couples" on NBC and The CW's "90210" repeat.
CBS moved into first in the 10 p.m. hour with a 7.7/13 for "Without a Trace." NBC's "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" was a close second with a 7.1/12 and also won the hour in the 18-49 demo. ABC's "What Would You Do?" special got a slight "Dancing" bump, but still finished a distant third.
All ratings information comes from preliminary Fast National Nielsen data, which includes live and same-day DVR viewing. All numbers are subject to change.
Are you the only one of your friends without a Wii? HitFix wants to give you a chance to win a Wii console player, a Flip digital camera or an iTunes gift car d. Show us your entertainment know how and enter the Knowing movie contest today.
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking