TV Ratings: Disappointing premiere for The CW's 'Melrose Place' on Tuesday
'90210' outperforms 'Melrose,' but NBC and FOX rule Tuesday ratings
Fast National ratings for Wednesday, Sept. 8, 2009.
Not only did The CW's "Melrose Place" reboot fail to equal the ratings for last year's "90210" reboot premiere, but the soap opera couldn't even hold onto the significantly less robust ratings for the season season launch of "90210."
The CW will attempt to spin the ratings later in the day. For now, though, your full results for the evening, which was won by NBC and FOX.
Among adults 18-49, FOX averaged a 2.7 rating, edging out NBC's 2.4 rating and the 2.1 rating for CBS. ABC was fourth in the coveted demographic with a 1.6 rating, while The CW's 1.3 rating was fifth for the night.
Overall, NBC averaged an estimated 10.065 million viewers to go with a 6.2 rating/10 share. CBS was second with a 5.4/9. FOX was a distant third with a 3.5/6, followed by ABC's 2.9/5. The CW trailed with a 1.8/3.
CBS began the night in first with a strong 6.9/11 for "NCIS." FOX's "Hell's Kitchen" and NBC's "America's Got Talent" repeat both averaged a 4.4/7, though FOX averaged more viewers and got a 3.5 rating in the 18-49 demo, the hour's best. ABC's "Shark Tank" repeat was fourth. The CW's season premiere of "90210" did a 1.8/3, averaging 2.56 million viewers and a 1.3 demo rating.
Because we know you want a little point-of-comparison, last fall's "90210" premiere averaged 4.9 million viewers.
NBC won the 9 p.m. hour with a 7.2/11 for "America's Got Talent." CBS' "Big Brother" was second with a 5.0/6, nearly doubling FOX's "More to Love," which nipped the 2.5/4 for ABC's "Shaq Vs." The "Melrose Place" premiere did a 1.7/3 for The CW, averaging 2.27 million viewers and the same demo as "90210."
The CW will attempt to give those numbers meaning later in the day by emphasizing young female viewers and whatnot.
In the 10 p.m. hour, NBC stayed in first with "America's Got Talent," which dipped slightly to a 6.9/12. CBS' "The Mentalist" took second, edging the 4.0/7 for ABC's "Primetime" special featuring Jon Gosselin.
All ratings information comes from preliminary Fast National Nielsen data, which includes live and same-day DVR viewing. All numbers are subject to change.
News From Our Partners
- Xbox One Games Can Be Played By Multiple Users on One Console 'American Horror Story: Coven' Adds Emma Roberts 'Fast 6′ vs. 'Hangover 3′: Who Will Win the Memorial Day Weekend Box Office?
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Rihanna Working on Eighth Album [Pic] One Direction to Release Fourth Book This Summer Beyonce Reveals Battle With Tonsillitis + 'Grown Woman' Choreography in Mrs. Carter Show Tour Videos
- Please Watch New 'Arrested Development' In Order & Not At Once From 'Idol' Contestants To Judges? From 'Unfabulous' To 'American Horror Story'
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly Interview: Katie Aselton on going from mumblecore to thriller—and directing her own nude scenes TV Roundtable: Boobies, pee-pees, codependence, and grounding the shenanigans with heart