TV Ratings: CBS rolls on slow Sunday
ABC's 'Defying Gravity' premieres to soft numbers
Fast National ratings for August 2, 2009.
Among adults 18-49, FOX and CBS both averaged a 1.5 rating, beating the 1.1 rating for ABC and the 1.0 rating for NBC. The CW was last in the key demographic with a 0.6 rating.
Overall, CBS averaged an estimated 7.26 million viewers to go with a 4.7 rating/9 share, far ahead of the 2.7/5 for both ABC and NBC. FOX's 2.0/4 was fourth, doubling up the 1.0/2 for The CW.
CBS started the night in first with a 6.0/12 for "60 Minutes." NBC's "Dateline" was second with a 3.3/7, beating ABC's "America's Funniest Home Video." FOX was fourth with "'Til Death" and "American Dad." On The CW, a new "Easy Money" had a 0.4/1.
"Big Brother 11" helped CBS stay in first at 8 p.m. with a 4.3/8. ABC's "Ty's Great British Adventure" was second with a 2.8/5, nipping the 2.7/5 for NBC's "Merlin." FOX's "The Simpsons" repeats were fourth with a 2.3/4, ahead of The CW's inexplicably high ratings for "Overboard."
"Cold Case" ruled the 9 p.m. hour with a 4.3/7, while FOX's "Family Guy" and "The Simpsons" finished second overall and first in the key demographic. NBC's "The Storm" was third with a 2.5/4, nipping the 2.4/4 for ABC's "Defying Gravity" (demo numbers for the premiering space soap weren't any more encouraging). The CW's "Overboard" had a 1.4/2, which has to be skewed by a live sporting event somewhere.
At 10 p.m. "Without a Trace" stayed even with its hourly predecessors. NBC's "The Storm" took second with a 2.5/4, while ABC's "Grey's Astronomy" was third with a 2.3/4.
All ratings information comes from preliminary Fast National Nielsen data, which includes live and same-day DVR viewing. All numbers are subject to change.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged?
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More