TV Ratings: CBS, NBC split Sunday games
NFL overrun helps CBS grab the largest audience, but Chargers-Broncos woos young viewers
A Sunday night NFL game with playoff implications helped NBC to a demographic crown, but CBS rode overrun from an earlier game to an overall win.
In the key 18-49 demo, NBC averaged a 4.0 rating, better than the 2.6 rating for FOX or CBS' 2.5 rating. ABC's 1.6 rating trailed, beating only the 0.3 rating for The CW.
Overall, though, CBS averaged 11.2 million viewers and a 7.0 rating/12 share for the night. NBC was a close second with a 6.6/11. ABC's 4.0/7 and the 3.7/6 for FOX followed. The CW's 0.8/1 wasn't a factor.
CBS began the night in first with the end of one Week 17 NFL game (Jets-Dolphins?) and the start of "60 Minutes," which averaged a 10.0/17. FOX, which had the end of another game, finished second with a 5.0/9. NBC's NFL pregame was third, beating the 2.9/5 first hour for ABC's "Sound of Music" and a 0.6/1 for "Jericho" on The CW.
NBC moved into first in the 8 p.m. hour with a 7.2/12 for the start of the game between the Chargers and Broncos. CBS was second with the end of "60 Minutes" and the start of "Million Dollar Password" averaging a 7.0/11. ABC's movie was third, bettering the 2.9/5 for episodes of "The Simpsons" and "King of the Hill" on FOX. The CW aired "Revenge of the Pink Panther" for some reason.
At 9 p.m., NBC's football was up to a 7.8/13. CBS stayed second with "Million Dollar Password" and "Cold Case." ABC's "Sound of Music" was up to a 4.7/8. FOX's "Family Guy" and "American Dad" averaged a 3.1/5. The CW's movie left the lights on.
NBC closed the night with a 6.8/12 for the conclusion of what ended up being a rout for the Charges. CBS' "Cold Case" and "The Unit" averaged 4.8/8, while ABC's movie closed with a 4.5/8.
All ratings information comes from preliminary Fast National data, which includes live and same-day DVR viewing. All numbers are subject to change.
News From Our Partners
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike