TV Ratings: 'Bones,' Office' return strong, 'Community' premieres well
Thursday launch for 'Fringe' is soft, while 'The Vampire Diaries' bleeds viewers
On the busiest evening of the new season to date, "Survivor," "Bones" and "The Office" all had strong returns and the new comedy "Community" launched well. At the same time, "Fringe" had only a soft debut, while "The Jay Leno Show" had a big drop."
Among adults 18-49, FOX narrowly won the night with a 3.0 rating, nipping the 2.9 rating for NBC. CBS' 2.5 rating and the 1.4 rating for The CW followed. That left ABC in last with a 1.3 rating.
Overall, though, CBS won the night with an estimated 9.68 million viewers and a 6.1 rating/10 share. FOX's 5.4/9 was second, with NBC's 4.5/8 in third. ABC took fourth with a 3.1/5, beating the 2.2/4 for The CW.
CBS won the 8 p.m. hour with the 6.7/11 for the premiere of "Survivor: Samoa," certainly on the low side for the franchise, but still able to win the hour with a 3.5 demo rating. FOX was a close second with the 6.1/10 for the return of "Bones." NBC's "SNL Weekend Update Thursday" (3.7/6) and "Parks and Recreation" (3.2/6) had tepid debuts. Fourth went to ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" repeat. The CW's "The Vampire Diaries" lost a million viewers from its premiere, but The CW has to be happy with a 2.5/4 and 3.76 million viewers.
In the 9 p.m. hour, CBS' "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" repeat had a 5.7/9. FOX's Thursday premiere of "Fringe" did a 4.7/8, tying with NBC's "The Office" (4.8/8) and "Community" (4.6/8) premieres. While FOX's drama had the advantage in total viewers (7.98 million), NBC's comedies did a 3.8 rating in the key demo, far ahead of the 2.9 for "Fringe," which also dropped at the half-hour. The CW's "Supernatural" was fifth with a 1.9/3.
Overall, the 10 p.m. hour went to CBS' "The Mentalist," which did a 6.0/11. NBC's "The Jay Leno Show" shed nearly five million viewers from Wednesday, doing a 5.5/10 with 8.52 million viewers. "The Jay Leno Show" still won the hour in the 18-49 demo with a 2.7 rating. ABC's "Private Practice" was third.
All ratings information comes from preliminary Fast National Nielsen data, which includes live and same-day DVR viewing. All numbers are subject to change.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- Podmass: David Sedaris describes his bath time, cicadas are explained, and Wompler returns Interview: Mitchell Hurwitz talks about the resurrection of Arrested Development AVQ&A: What pop-culture family would you want to join?
- CBS Fall 2013: 'Intelligence' Extended Trailer Evokes 'Chuck' For Grown-Ups Marvel's 'Avengers Assemble': Producers Explain Movie Tie-In, Plus New Clip! 'Hannibal' Review: "Trou Normand"
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Scoop: 'Callie Isn't A Victim' 'Supernatural's' Surprising Ratings Victory Three Years Later, People Are Still Livid About 'Lost'
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews