TV Ratings: ABC's 'Dancing with the Stars' romps on Monday
ABC's 'Castle' holds steady, while The CW's 'Gossip Girl' and 'One Tree Hill' slump in their returns
Fast National ratings for Monday, May 16, 2009.
Those huge premiere numbers for ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" appear not to have been a fluke, as ABC trounced its Monday competition for the second straight week.
ABC averaged a 4.6 rating in the key 18-49 demographic, edging out the 4.2 rating for FOX and the 4.0 rating for CBS. NBC grabbed fourth with a 1.3 rating, nipping the 1.1 rating for The CW.
Overall, ABC averaged an estimated 17.88 million viewers and a 11.4 rating/18 share, far ahead of the 7.3/11 for second place CBS. FOX was a close third with a 7.1/11. NBC came in a distant fourth with a 2.4/4, at least beating The CW's 1.5/2.
In the 8 p.m. hour ABC got a 12.7/20 from the first hour of "Dancing with the Stars." FOX's "House" was well back in second with a 7.6/12, beating the 5.7/9 averaged by CBS comedies "Big Bang Theory" and "How I Met Your Mother." NBC's repeat of "Chuck" finished fourth, beating the 1.5/2 for the apparently less-than-highly-anticipated return of "Gossip Girl."
"Dancing with the Stars" improved to a 13.9/21 in its second hour. CBS moved up to second with a "Two and a Half Men" (8.4/13) and "Rules of Engagement" (6.9/10). FOX finished third with a 6.6/10 for "24." NBC's "Heroes" repeat was down to a 1.9/3, while The CW's "One Tree Hill" return held steady.
CBS moved into first at 10 p.m. with an 8.6/14 for "CSI:Miami." ABC got encouraging numbers from "Castle," which duplicated its 7.7/13 in its second week. NBC's repeat of "Medium" was down in third.
All ratings information comes from preliminary Fast National Nielsen data, which includes live and same-day DVR viewing. All numbers are subject to change.
Are you the only one of your friends without a Wii? HitFix wants to give you a chance to win a Wii console player, a Flip digital camera or an iTunes gift card. Show us your entertainment know how and enter the Knowing movie contest today.
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- CBS Fall 2013: 'Intelligence' Extended Trailer Evokes 'Chuck' For Grown-Ups Marvel's 'Avengers Assemble': Producers Explain Movie Tie-In, Plus New Clip! 'Hannibal' Review: "Trou Normand"
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Scoop: 'Callie Isn't A Victim' 'Supernatural's' Surprising Ratings Victory Three Years Later, People Are Still Livid About 'Lost'
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced